Vintage Dress Refashion

Monday, March 5, 2018

When I was a senior, I took a road trip to Salt Lake City with some friends. Each trip to Salt Lake as incomplete without a stop at Decades. My friends and I loved vintage clothing and always left that store with a treasure or two. 
My goal for that shopping trip was to find a cool vintage dress to wear to prom. 
I bought this pink dress hoping to alter it a bit and clean it for prom. Unfortunately, I wore a different dress to prom. This dress sat in the back of my closet for nine years! 

It's made of a crepe-y fabric and has an accordion pleated skirt and a surplice bodice with pleated darts, cap sleeves, and a lapel (tacked under in this image)
A few months ago, it caught my attention again and I decided I would give it another shot. Although beautiful as a dress, it was a little too formal. I loved the skirt of it, though, and wanted to be able to wear it and not look over the top. 


I simply cut the dress about a half inch above the waist line. I then attached 1-inch thick bias tape to the waist band, being careful to attach it in just the right place so that, when it would be folded over, it would have a clean finish. I then attached thick elastic the seam allowance so that the waist would hold its shape and size. 
At this point I tried it on and was disappointed with the amount of bulk the seam allowance was adding to the waistline. To fix it, I top stitched around the whole waist to keep the seam allowance down. And it fixed the problem! After that, All I had to do was reinforce the zipper and add a hook and eye. 


I wore this skirt to church with a simple white shirt and turquoise earrings. I felt like a million bucks! It is obvious that this is an old dress-turned-skirt. It has a few small stains (I have yet to get it cleaned.. its next on my list!) and the color is very unique.

It is a one-of-a-kind skirt! The kind that was worth the nine year wait. 


SaveSave

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs