Oma's Polyester Hexagon Quilt: A Work in Progress

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I've never been big on making quilts. I think a quilter needs to be exact when it comes to measuring, cutting, and sewing and I am not that kind of seamstress. But I want to be!

I have been thinking about some of my unfinished quilts lately. 
Over the last few years, my Oma has given me many of her sewing supplies, including her serger, boxes of fabric, patterns, and a few unfinished quilts. 
One of the unfinished quilts she gave me was this beautiful, colorful hexagon quilt. 


The polyester textiles remind me of the 1970s (possibly the decade this quilt was started). It has hundreds of different patterns and colors and I love the way the randomness comes together!

This quilt was started by my Oma's sister who lives in Holland and she gave it to my Oma to finish (not sure how long ago). When I got it, I was surprised at how large it was. I was even more surprised when I found piles and piles of more hexagons to be added to the quilt. 

Each individual piece is basted to a hexagon-shaped piece of card stock. 
All of the pieces are hand stitched together. As I've worked on this quilt, I have removed the card stock once the piece has been added to the quilt. It has been fun to see it slowly come together. 

Close up details of some of the textiles in the quilt, basting stitches still in place
For a while, my sister and I would add to the quilt each time we visited my parents' house. 
Lately, I have been eager to make a quilt. I have very little experience with quilting, but I really appreciate the intricate details of a beautiful quilt. 

Basting and card stock removed
My goal for this Fall is to make a large quilt. I have four unfinished quilts that I could finish, or I can make a whole new one. I have been finding some cool options on Pinterest, like this gingham one and this colorful one

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs