Gingham Crib Quilt

Monday, December 3, 2018

A few months ago we bought some new things for my son's room. His crib and dresser are light wood and his crib sheet is mint green with a white blanket. I loved everything together, but I needed to add a bit more color. I loved the idea of adding navy and a mustard or orange color.


I found the perfect grey, blue, and navy fabric at Super Buzzy in Ventura. 


I calculated how much fabric I had and how big I could make the quilt. If I did 4 inch squares (5" including the seam allowance), I could make a 45"x55" quilt, roughly the size of a crib quilt. 
I had just enough of each color to make this happen. I had a half yard of the grey and navy fabrics and one yard of the blue. Here is the gingham pattern all laid out:

Fabric all cut!
Once I had the gingham pattern sewn together, I started my search for the perfect fabric for the backing. 


I found the most perfect fabric at Joann. I fell in love with it right away. Its a white cotton with navy, blue, and mustard X's. The pattern is so simple and delicate, just what I had hoped for. It also made the decision easy for me: the binding had to be mustard!

My little helper!
The most time consuming part was stitching the straight lines on each side of each seam. It took a long time, but it was worth it. No other quilting technique would have don't this quilt justice. 

I found the matching shade of mustard quilting cotton from Quilty Pleasures

The "X" fabric perfectly matches the mustard binding and the blues. 
All finished! Just in time for the weather to get a little chilly! 
The best thing about quilts is that they get softer and softer with each wash. I've loved to watch my son grow attached to his new quilt. Every once in a while, he will drag it around the house with him after he wakes up from a nap and it makes my heart melt. 



No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs