The Costume Shop

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho in December of 2013. I majored in Health Science with an emphasis in Community and Worksite Wellness and I minored in Clothing Construction. 
I took every sewing class the university offered, but it still wasn't enough! I wanted to work as a seamstress. My senior year I worked for the Theater Department Costume Shop making costumes for productions. The BYU-Idaho Theater webpage shows some of the past theater productions, many of which I worked on during my year of working there. 

Here are a few screenshots from that website:




Each semester the theater department put on two production, Giving us about six weeks to construct every costume in time for the show.
There were usually about six of us employed each semester. I usually worked a few hours most days a week. On an ordinary work day, would come in after class, grab something from the rack that needed work, and sit at a sewing machine and sew for a few hours. 
We had visitors, did fittings, ran errands, and often listened to movies as we worked. When available, we would watch the movie rendition of the theater production we were constructing for. I learned a lot about theater and even more about sewing. My boss was a great seamstress and pattern maker and I loved working for her. 
I only wish I had applied as a freshman and not waited until I was a senior. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs