A Tie for Jesse

Sunday, January 24, 2016




One of my favorite things about Rexburg, the small town in Idaho where I went to college, was the thrift store, Deseret Industries. I used to shop for clothes there and every once in a while I would find something I liked. Eventually, I would go straight to the unorganized shelves in the back and search for bunches of fabric. Most of the time there was nothing but old sheets, but every now and then I could find a bundle of super cool, unique fabric.
This green/brown fabric is from the DI. It is really thick and has fibers of green, brown and black in it. I knew immediately that I wanted use it to make a tie.
The floral cotton lining is so beautiful and there was just the right amount for this project.





To make the pattern, I traced a tie of my brother's that, in my opinion, was the perfect width. Pattern making has become one of my favorite steps of the process. Having the skills to draft a simple pattern makes me feel as though I can make anything!




From our engagement photoshoot (Allie Lindsey Photography)

I gave the finished tie to my husband a few months before we got engaged. He still wears it all the time and it makes me so happy!
This last Christmas (and just in the nick of time) I made ties for my father and father-in-law with the same pattern. Someday I'll master a 100% handmade Christmas! Someday.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs