Indigo Dying

Thursday, October 5, 2017

I have always wanted to try indigo shibori dying. So when my sister-in-law Rachel suggested we have a dying party, I was all for it!
We had it all planned for a weekend when the whole family would be in town. She and my mother-in-law brought white cotton to make quilts and some knit fabric. Some of the other siblings dyed various items, like shirts and socks. I brought some white dish towels and white burp rags.

We spent the morning scouring Pinterest to find inspiration and learn the different techniques. My technique of choice: dip dying! I recently attended a bridal shower where the table settings were topped with a beautiful indigo dip dyed linen napkin. I fell in love! The napkins were so simple, yet they made such a huge impact. I wanted to create that same look with my dish towels and burp rags.


I used flour sack kitchen towels. They are my favorite kind to use in my kitchen because they are super thin but still absorbent and have such a fresh, clean appearance. They are so simple and go with any style. 
The dip dye method turned out so cute! I used a few of my old, semi-stained towels (just to spruce them up) and a few brand new ones, too. 
I only dipped them two or three inches on both ends. The fabric only sat in the dye for a few seconds and the color still came out so vibrant and dark!  



This shibori dyed towel was one of my favorites. I folded the towel like an accordion. Once I had a square stack of folded fabric, I secured wooden blocks on the top and bottom with rubber bands. Then we used a c-clamp (for lack of a better option) to secure it real tight. Once it was dipped, untied and unfolded, the result showed a square pattern with the uncovered edges dyed blue. So pretty!
I'm all about white/mostly-white stuff around my house. Maybe not practical, but oh so pretty.

We have a burp rag laying across multiple pieces of furniture at our house. They might as well be cute!
The burp rags were so quick. I had a huge stack of thin, plain white burp rags that had hardly ever been used. Now that they are dip dyed, I use them all the time. 



You can see Rachel's post with more pictures and a cute video here to see the cute patterns and techniques that everyone else tried. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs