Avocado Pit Dye

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

I recently scored a pretty white shower curtain from a thrift store. I have saved some avocado pits recently and I knew I wanted to dip dye the shower curtain! I fell in love with dip dying last year when I transformed some dish towels and burp cloths.

Before...
After!



















I referenced this blog post as I was researching the best way to dye with avocado pits. 
First, I submerged the pits in water in my largest pot (I wish I had a bigger one) and brought it to a boil. 


I then let it simmer for an hour. The pink color became apparent rather quickly and got darker and darker as it simmered. Then I let the dye sit overnight. 

Ready to go! Notice the dark pink color of the water
In the morning, I scooped the pits out of the water and brought the water back to a boil. I then got the bottom portion of the shower curtain (the portion I wanted to dye) wet. I then turned off the heat on the dye bath, submerged the wetted portion, and secured the rest of the curtain out of the way. 


I frequently moved the curtain around so that it would stay submerged. 
I left it soaking for about two hours.


I wish I had left it soaking longer! I think my dye bath had the potential to produce a beautiful, dark color because I had so many pits. 
I will definitely be doing this again! Just need a bigger pot... Such a cool experiment. I would also love to dye with yellow onion skins and tea. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs