Swing Dress Pattern

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

In a previous post, I showcased a swing dress I made for Easter. I still wear it regularly and plan on making ten more of them. My sister Rachel recently made herself a swing dress and she asked to see a picture of my swing dress pattern. I took a picture of the simple pattern just to give her an idea of where to add fullness.


When it came to cutting out the fabric, I ended up cutting the front and back pieces wider than the pattern showed. I used all the width that the fabric would allow. These pattern pieces were just a guide in getting the shoulders and neckline the right shape. When it comes to a swing dress, you can't go wrong if you just add as much fullness as you can starting under the arms. 

I also decided to make the back two separate pieces with a seam down center back. This is how I added so much fullness to the back.
I learned from the mistakes I made on a previous swing dress. I did not add the center back seam on the first swing dress I made and all the fullness was in the side seams. I wanted to add more to the sides and the back for extra fullness. 

The hem looks uneven, but I cut it so the back is slightly longer than the front. You can also see all the fullness that the back of the dress has. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs