The Cutest Romper and Bonnet

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time perusing the Cricut Design Space library of sewing projects. There are so many to choose from! They have things like stuffed animals, baby clothes, doll clothes, all sorts of bags, quilts, and even pet accessories.

I decided on a romper and bonnet (two separate projects) to make an adorable matching set.
Romper project found here
Bonnet project here
Images Source
Once I selected my project, I connected my Cricut Maker to my computer and clicked the "Make It" button.
I was then walked through all the preparatory steps. First, I inserted the washable fabric pen and the rotary blade into the adaptive tool system. 
Then, I place my fabric of choice (a mystery cotton/polyester fabric) onto the FabricGrip mat. To make this easy, I cut my fabric into 12x24 pieces so they fit perfectly on the mat. 
Feeding the mat into the machine is done with just the press of a button. 

Sewing Kit Ready for business!

I've selected my project! Now I am getting everything ready for cutting. Behind my computer screen you can see the fabric pen and rotary blade inserted in the adaptive tool system.

Once I fed the first mat into the Cricut Maker, it makes all of the marks and cuts and prompted me when to release the mat. It is then ready for the second mat, so I just repeated these steps five times and I had all the pieces for a bonnet and romper marked and cut and ready to go!

Bonnet pattern pieces and interfacing
Romper pattern pieces and elastic references
Each project gives you an estimated amount of time and difficulty level. The bonnet was easy and the romper was intermediate. Each took 1-2 hours.
The step by step instructions give detailed directions and drawings to show each part of the assembly process. They are easy to follow, especially with all of the marking made by the machine.

Bonnet finished! 
The front of the romper with back/side elastic in
and top stitching complete
The facing on the inside front piece of the
romper. Such a clean way to finish seams -
and comfortable for the baby!






Both the bonnet and romper called for a few feet of double fold bias tape. It was used as elastic casing and to finish off a raw seam. This was really easy to make. With my manual rotary cutter, I cut long strips of fabric 1.25" wide on the bias. I then pressed the double fold and had perfect, matching bias tape for my project.

Almost done! just needs the crotch seam sewn, elastic in each leg, and closures!
Elastic casing sewn in
The last part of the assembly is the closures. The instructions call for velcro, but I chose to use buttons and button holes instead!
I recently learned how to sew buttons on with my machine, so I love sewing them on as often as I can. Plus, I think the yellow buttons add a special something to the romper.



When I am cutting a project by hand, I always forget to transfer pattern markings, which slows me down and requires me to refer back to the pattern multiple times. With the Cricut Maker, I don't even have to think about it anymore. The washable fabric pen came out with a little bit of water once it was all finished. Plus, the pattern pieces were perfectly cut, so sewing everything together was easy and resulted in the most perfect little outfit.

I am so in love with this romper and bonnet set! This might be my go-to baby shower gift from now on. This particular one, however, is going in my "too-cute-to-give-away" box!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs