Sketching

Thursday, April 28, 2016


I look at creating clothing as a series of steps. First there is an idea or inspiration, then the design, then the sketch, then pattern making, prep (cutting, serging, etc.), and sewing. 
Sewing is what I am most familiar with. 
Pattern making has been my favorite since I started learning how a few years ago. 
Sketching is what I need the most practice with. 

My very first time sketching a design was a few years ago. It was an eye opening experience for me because I wasn't half bad at it! I really loved sketching and brainstorming ideas. 


I bought myself this Fashionary sketch book. Each page has three faint sloper outlines. There are also pages of helpful info involving design.

This page shows all different types of coats and shirts.
I refer to this page regularly! It translates all those symbols on clothing care instructions.
I find inspiration in things that I see, often adding my own flare and style to it. 
I've also learned that fabric is a very important aspect of design. To achieve the look desired, the fabric choice is critical. I like to specify next to each design what color and type of fabric I imagined for the piece. 


For a Fashion Design and Merchandising class I took, we had to come up with an imaginary fashion line with six different looks and a theme. We had to know who our target customer was and what the price range would be, among other things. 
This project came easily to me because I had so many sketches ready to go! My target customer would be someone just like me: someone who is willing to pay a little extra money for quality fabric and construction. My target customer is someone who want to be the best dressed person in the room. 
I would rather have one beautifully well made, expensive dress than have twenty poorly made, cheap dresses. Hands down.  


No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs