First Annual Prom Season: Success!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Prom just passed! I did a few alterations for some of the girls from church. I know how hard it is to find a modest, beautiful prom dress and it felt so good to be able to transform these dresses. 

Becky's dress:
Before
After!
Becky's dress was a beautiful bright coral color. I raised the hem 4 inches and built up the shoulders and sleeves. I was really nervous to do such a major alteration, but after searching for some pictures of added sleeves and seeing this post, I knew it would look great.
I'd never done anything quite like this before, so it was definitely a learning experience. I am so pleased with how it turned out, though! The fabric had a lot of stretch, so I had a lot of piecing to do. The seams throughout the shoulders, however, make it look uniform with the criss-cross detail on the bodice.
When I was all finished, I had a piece of fabric smaller than my hand left over. It was a close call!



Kimmy's dress:


Before...
I forgot to get an after picture of Kimmy's dress... But I raised the hem 6 inches and added 1 1/2 inches to the neckline. I ruffled the added piece so it would look uniform with the rest of the bodice.

The Sunday after Prom, all the young women wore their gorgeous dresses to church! It was so fun to see everyone all dressed up.
Since then, I've gotten a few inquiries each week about alterations or projects from people at church. I've learned over the years that sewing skills don't need to be advertised. Once people learn that I sew, they never forget! 
In college, I lived in a house with eleven roommates (yes, ELEVEN!), and I kept busy with all of their projects each semester. Regularly, I would come home from classes and find a skirt and two pairs of jeans at the foot of my bed in need of some repair. The word is slowly spreading and I have a feeling I will be very busy with projects from now on.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs