Cape Verde Tie

Monday, January 2, 2017

A couple of years ago my brother, Lane, went on a service trip to Cape Verde for two weeks. When he came back he brought a strip of brown and white fabric and a yard of fabric for me. I made a baby quilt with my yard and Lane requested I make him a tie with his small strip of fabric (not sure why, because he also sews and the ties he makes are flawless!). 

I recreated the same pattern that I used for Jesse's tie. In my opinion, it is the perfect width!
One trick I've used a few times is using the lining and structural reinforcement from an old tie for my new ones. I go to thrift stores and buy a few ties for dirt cheap and then take them apart.

The old tie I took apart next to the new fabric

Here is the project almost completed with maroon lining. 

One huge mistake I made with this project was not leaving enough fabric as seam allowance in the back. If I had left it as it originally was, It would have been a much thinner tie, but I didn't want that. I added a strip of fabric and tacked it onto the back to cover both raw edges. 
It made the tie a little bulkier and I bet my brother kind of regretted asking me to make it after seeing the outcome!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs